Sunday, September 27, 2015

I was feeling ambitious this week...

This past week, I did a lot of thinking and had several ideas. Here they are:

1. Make a map graphing all of the places I've visited in my hometown, Massachusetts (where I live), and in the country. So far, I have only graphed out Massachusetts because It was easiest to block off the places by city/town before getting in depth with streets in the Tewksbury/Billerica area. This was to give me an idea of how much I really know the place I live. And here's the map. The poster isn't complete yet, I still have some designing to do/tweek, but the map itself is done.

Yellow = discovered, Pink = undiscovered

2. I looked at a book (which title and author I forget, but the book is on my desk) that shows maps of a specific neighborhood, every time graphing something different, either a paper route, or trees, by size, or telephone wires, etc. This gave me an idea to find different things in a familiar area, which I did after much surfing on the internet, and came across a collection of maps that are owned by the University of Texas, graphing Boston in 1880. The maps of Boston mapped different sections and identified different places, like asylums and hospitals. I made a book organizing the maps I found, which I haven't printed yet because I'm not totally finished with the design, as I've only put a handful of hours of work into it, and with it containing only content I've found, I don't know if credits to the University of Texas are quite enough to call a book mine...

3. Although I didn't yet organize my inventory into different index categories, I thought of ways to do it, which is my next step in moving forward. I thought about color coordinating things to mean they were in a specific location (i.e. red = console, blue = glove box) and listing them in order by importance or usage. Some of the things, like most of what is in my trunk, is just stuff that needed a spot to be stored and it was forgotten about. So essentially, my trunk has become a storage unit. But by using color, order, size of the type (to show importance?), location of the type, maybe can relate to where it is in the car. I will go very in depth with this index asap. I just needed to get some stuff out of my head in the mean time.

4. ALSO, this weekend I spent about 4 hours at the junk yard photographing and collecting things that people had in their car, the last time they drove them, to see if I could learn from these people, learn their lives, understand their personality, give them a face. 






























2 comments :

  1. referenced in No. 2 :
    Denis Wood. Everything Sings : Maps for a Narrative Atlas (Siglio Press)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunno about publishing credit card info, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.