Thursday, November 19, 2015

Concordance work

I've started work on my concordance for Frankenstein, using the 6 words that I've used so far (monster, creature, wretch, friend, human, mankind). I haven't finished gathering them all yet but I've got it half done at least. As I was researching concordances, specifically from the bible because that's a very frequently referenced book, I found that the words were alphabetized which led me to wonder if I should order the words alphabetically but with each instance ordered by page number or if I should alphabetize it by the first letter of the first word in each line. I'm going to post what I've got so far below.

CREATURE
a more interested creature; his eyes have
been a noble creature in his better
so noble a creature destroyed by misery
innocent and helpless creature bestowed on them
pictures cherub - a creature who seemed to
eye of the creature open; it breathed
shiver, that the creature whom I had
most grateful little creature in the world
the same happy creature who, a few
could arrest a creature capable of scaling
see a fellow creature about to perish
loved, was a creature capable of a
longer that happy creature who, in earlier
thought such a creature unfit to remain
spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou
I am thy creature, and I will
I am thy creature; I ought to
eye upon thy creature, who implores thy
destroy your own creature. Oh, praise the
creator towards his creature were, and that
beheld a young creature, with a pail
and the fair creature, leaving her work
God a perfect creature, happy and prosperous
unfortunate and deserted creature; I look around
to a human creature.' "'Excellent man! I
that this little creature was unprejudiced, and
I demand a creature of another sex
to be a creature of fine sensations
my calculations: a creature who could exist
slave of my creature I allowed myself
each other; the creature who already lived
me destroy the creature on whose future
of the half-finished creature, whom I had
of every human creature, he did not
society of every creature, I could not
and the purest creature of earth? She
future happiness: no creature had ever been
pursuit; but the creature of whom you
particulars of his creature's formation: but
What a glorious creature must be have
created a rational creature, and was bound
for the first creature. He showed unparalleled
am the same creature whose thoughts were


CREATURES
we are unfashioned creatures, but half made
noble of human creatures, and am entitled
benevolent of human creatures. She nursed Madame
depraved of human creatures. For the sake
of your fellow creatures, and the author
these two excelled creatures. One was old
if such lovely creatures were miserable, it
of these lovely creatures; I was inquisitive
by your fellow creatures were, high and
warring with his creatures was capable of
amiable and lovely creatures sympathizing with me
by these amiable creatures; to see their
the most excellent creatures in the world
that such beautiful creatures could bestow; and
and my fellow creatures demanded of me
them, as to creatures of an angelic


FELLOW-CREATURES
I shunned my fellow-creatures as if I
intercourse of my fellow-creatures, and rendered me
gather from your fellow-creatures, who owe me
sympathy of your fellow-creatures.'  "'Heaven forbid! Even
sight fo my fellow-creatures, lest when alone
me and my fellow-creatures; nay, a wish
encounter with my fellow-creatures. At one time
useful to my fellow-creatures. When I reflected
utility to my fellow-creatures, then could I


CREATURE'S
for that one creature's sake, I would


MONSTER
the miserable monster whom I had
to behold this monster; but I feared
imagined that the monster seized me; I
form of the monster on whom I
I was the monster that he said
fear lest the monster whom I had
remaining friends." "Abhorred monster! fiend that thou
in reality the monster that I am
I, then, a monster, a blot upon
you form a monster so hideous that
only a detestable monster.' "'That is indeed
go,' he cried; 'monster! ugly wretch! you
with me.' "'Hideous monster! let me go
and let the monster depart with his
promise fulfilled, the monster would depart forever
but that the monster followed me, and
my rage." The monster saw my determination
on whom the monster might satisfy his
fingers of the monster already grasping me
eyes of the monster, as I first
me and the monster of my creation
happy. If the monster executed his threat
magic powers, the monster had blided me
face of the monster; he seemed to
their cause - the monster whom I had
to seize the monster, be assured that
cursed and hellish monster drink deep of
information. A gigantic monster, they said, had
apparition of the monster seen from our
connected. Such a monster had, then, real
my lips. The monster continued to utter


MONSTERS
to me as mosnters thirsting for each
we shall be mosnters, cut off from


FRIEND
childhood's companion and friend; but my dreams
I have no friend, Margaret: when I
want of a friend. I have no
would such a friend repair the faults
greatly need a friend who would have
certainly find no friend on the wide
union. My generous friend reassured the suppliant
honour to my friend; who, when he
should find no friend on the wide
of finding a friend - of my thirst
ourselves - such a friend ought to be
once had a friend, the most noble
are mistaken, my friend, if thus you
which led his friend to a conduct
interment of his friend he conducted her
her playmate and friend. I threw myself
found a true friend. His gentleness was
express, my friend, that you expect
I welcomed my friend, therefore, in the
attentions of my friend could have restored
and grieved my friend, I recovered. I
present temper, my friend, you will perhaps
I thanked my friend from my heart
pupil with my friend, and found not
conversation of my friend. Study had before
of children. Excellent friend! how sincerely did
of mourning, my friend, but with kindness
unhappy? my dear friend, what had happened?
no consolation, my friend," said he' "your
farewell to my friend. My journey was
I fear, my friend, that I shall
beloved and only friend; may Heaven, in
your early, much-loved friend; he who would
benefactor and friend, a child whom
My dearest friend, you must calm
no relation or friend upon earth. These
despair. To be friendless is indeed to
feeling and kind friend, they behold only
attend to her friend, rushed out of
my companion and friend, I should not
presence of my friend could in no
And you, my friend, would be far
country." Clerval! beloved friend! Even now it
consoles your unhappy friend. Pardon this gush
with our Scotch friend approached, and we
Perth, where our friend expected us. But
then, my dear frfiend, to return, that
parted from my friend, I determined to
you, Clerval, my friend, my benefactor-" The
some on, a friend, is come to
unfortunate and murdered friend was an agitation
body of my friend was found, and
that Clerval, my friend and dearest companion
Elizabeth:- My dear Friend, It gave me


FRIENDS
his most intimate friends was a merchant
form my own friends and be my
returning to my friends and my native
forget those friends who were so
about our mutual friends and his own
those dear, dear friends whom I love
cheerful home, and friends who love you
and my beloved friends. My return had
news from my friends. I threw the
have we; his friends mourn and weep
love and sorrowing friends; but when I
of her pretended friends, I wish to
and console my friends, if remorse had
passions. Remember the friends around you, who
of those mighty friends. Still I would
of your remaining friends." "Abhorred monster! fiend
accomplishments of my friends. The old man
deeply than his friends. But if his
in observing my friends. When they had
either of my friends. On hearing this
countenances of my friends. Safie was always
no money, no friends, no kind of
where were my friends and relations? No
history of my friends. It was one
Paris, surrounded by friends and possessed of
histories, whilst my friends were employed in
protection of some friends, whom I sincerely
and if these friends are good and
tenderly love these friends; I have, unknown
Where do these friends reside?' "Near this spot
success with those friends whom I am
residence of those friends?' "I paused. This
family are the friends whom I seek
thought of my friends, of the mild
salutations of my friends with a readier
leave my friends conscious of the
safety of my friends. I was agonised
letters from the friends he had formed
language. "My good friends," said I, "will
me made my friends dread a dangerous


FRIENDSHIP
to judge respecting friendship. You have hope
with the truest friendship, and was deeply
of the closest friendship to one among
the tenderness of friendship, nor the beauty
their compassion and friendship? I resolved, at
affections, and his friendship was of that




---UPDATE---



MANKIND
confer on all mankind to the last
solid advantage of mankind." I listened to
had cast among mankind, and endowed with
the rest of mankind. If you will
the multitude of mankind knew of my
the vices of mankind. "As yet I
and horror of mankind. But on you
vengeance to all mankind. But the agony
not rush among mankind, and perish in
hated by all mankind? You, my creator
the benefit of mankind. And now, behold

HUMAN
the dross of human nature, beat even
there was a human being within it
most noble of human creatures, and am
the infidels. No human being could have
seemed to keep human beings from entering
disease from the human frame and render
station among other human beings. Now my
that department of human knowledge alone. If
structure of the human frame, and, indeed
corruption of the human body. In my education
delicacy of the human feelings. I saw
creation of a human being. As the
secrets of the human frame. In a
often did my human nature turn with
from blame. A human being in perfection
not befitting the human mind. If this
the feelings of human nature. I had
dignity of a human being. Justine, you
most wretched of human beings. Alas! I
gloom. Nothing in human shape could have
and indeed every human being, was guiltless
and benevolent of human creatures. She nursed
again believe in human goodness? Justine, whom
painful to the human mind than, after
most depraved of human creatures. For the
death of any human being; but certainly
my ephemeral, because human, sorrows. My wanderings
too horribile for human eyes. But I
are allowed, by human laws, bloody as
in watching my human neighbours. In the
I saw few human beings besides them
strange system of human society was explained
which bind one human being to another
I had studied human nature; but this
serviceable to a human creature.' "Excellent man
to injure anything human, I turned my
from a single human being; but I
that wore the human form. "My travels
visage of a human being. Nature decayed
had saved a human being from destruction
cannot be; the human senses are insurmountable
too horrible for human eyes to behold
nor any other human being shall ever
is peaceful and human, and you must
imagination. But even human sympathies were not
of the whole human race. I trembled
a race of human beings myself
flesh of a human being. I paused
my benefactor-" The human frame could no
sufferings of every human creature, he did
shadow of a human being. My strength
of which the human mind is by
you know me. Human beings, their feelings
sacrifice the whole human race." The conclusion
inspire me with human feelings when sunk
painful to the human mind as a
In other places human beings were seldom
as of a human voice, but hoarser
criminal, when all human kind sinned against

HUMANE
been so perfectly humane, so thoughtful in

HUMANITY
noblest endowments of humanity. I first became
than belongs to humanity, instantly informed me
with love and humanity; but I am
first introduction to humanity had been made
and your present humanity assures me of
spectacle of wrecked humanity, pitiable to others

HUMAN-KIND
the last of human-kind whom these eyes

INHUMAN
very impertinent and inhuman in me to

SUPERHUMAN
towards me with superhuman speed. He bounded

WRETCH
how delineate the wretch whom with such
I beheld the wretch - the miserable monster
hideous as that wretch. I had gazed
to avoid the wretch whom I feared
it was the wretch, the filthy daemon
world a depraved wretch, whose delight was
me as a wretch doomed to ignominy
to such a wretch as I am
with such a wretch." I listened to
it was the wretch whom I had
poor, helpless, miserable wretch; I knew, and
to me, poor wretch! who had never
I thought (foolish wretch!) that it might
me. Miserable, unhappy wretch! "Other lessons were
cried; 'monster! ugly wretch! you wish to
I, a miserable wretch, haunted by a
was engaged. The wretch saw me destroy
opened, and the wretch whom I dreaded
if such a wretch as I felt
silence concerning the wretch I had created
am satisfied: miserable wretch! you have determined
so miserable a wretch; but when you
rekindled within me. "Wretch!" I said, "it
I am a wretch. I have murdered
curious and unhallowed wretch, who would create

WRETCHED
man in so wretched a condition. We
journey, and how wretched my sickness would
become the most wretched of human beings
made her very wreched. But since the
that made me wretched, for I knew
whole of this wretched mockery of justice
was then very wretched, I was not
passed upon my wretched victim. She perished
am not so wretched as you are
men hate the wretched; how, then, must
for thy crimes. Wretched devil! you reproach
have made me wretched beyond expression. You
and making a wretched appearance after the
being, should be wretched. Yet why were
me above the wretched sphere of my
but I was wretched, helpless, and alone
clearly what a wretched outcase I was
make you so wretched that the light
stretched on a wretched bed, surrounded by
prepared for me (wretched indeed was
barred windows, and wretched appearance of the
arrived at a wretched hamlet on the
and of the wretched Victor, and thrust
render no other wretched, he ought to

WRETCHEDLY
passed the night wretchedly. Sometimes my pulse

WRETCHEDNESS
unknown and in wretchedness. My father loved
contrary, tears and wretchedness? And how, Victor
only imagined the wrechedness of my desolated
night of unmingled wretchedness. In the morning
shall sahre my wretchedness. Yet it is
in murder and wretchedness. He had sworn
in death and wretchedness? Begone! I am
intensity of my wretchedness? You can blast
was replete with wretchedness. At one time
imperious voice of wretchedness, which sometimes desired
to waste in wretchedness! He could not
quenched in infinite wretchedness. Sometimes he commanded
while he accumulated wretchedness and despair upon
not cause greater wretchedness; and if yet

3 comments :

  1. order by appearance (page number), not alphabetical. why? because if alphabetical, which of the words would you base alphabetization on?
    appearance.

    there is a lot of typographic (detail) potential here, so wonder what you'll come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would base the alphabetization on the first letter of the first 3 words that appears before the main word. For instance

    A more interested creature...
    Am the same creature...

    ReplyDelete
  3. too arbitrary. some will work better (as poetry) with three words, others with two or four.
    I suggest you stick with order of appearance, and believe the result will be a more interesting read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.